Default .profile in SCO Xenix

Grad at cup.portal.com Grad at cup.portal.com
Thu Mar 30 12:58:47 AEST 1989

> First, when mkuser is used to add user accounts in SCO Xenix, a default
> .profile is set up for them.  Where is this default file stored so I can
> change it instead of having to customize .profile for every user?

I dug through the manuals and found the answer myself.  I'm posting it here
to benefit other SCO Xenix users.  The default profile is in the directory
/usr/lib/mkuser/<shell>, where <shell> is the shell being used (sh, csh,
etc.)  In the case of the Bourne shell, which I'm using, the default profile
is in /usr/lib/mkuser/sh/profile.  For the C shell, it's in
/usr/lib/mkuser/csh/login.

> Also, When you create a login with mkuser, it sends that user mail saying
> "Welcome to Xenix."  Is there a way to disable that?

In the same directory as above is a shell script called mkuser.init.  This
script performs most of mkuser's dirty work such as creating the user's home
directory and startup files (.profile or .login).  This script also sends the
above-mentioned mail.  I commented out the offending section of the script
and voila!  No more junk mail.

          --->>> Graddy <<<---   (Grad at cup.portal.com)