tcp-ip / ethernet books

Robert J Woodhead trebor at biar.UUCP
Fri Mar 31 13:19:14 AEST 1989

I am looking for a good book on tcp-ip protocols.  I am writing an application
where several Xenix 386-based machines are chatting with each other over the
Ethernet.  I am currently using datagram sockets successfully, but since the
messages going back and forth are extremely structured, I'm hoping to squeeze
out more performance by going down to a lower level protocol.

Unfortunately, the manuals provided by Excelan don't document this stuff at
ALL.  You have to read between the lines even to figure out how Datagram
sockets work.  So I am looking for some good reference books on the lower
levels of tcp-ip and ethernet.

Please note the multiple newsgroup posting of this message; I only subscribe
to comp.unix.xenix, so could you either mail your responses or followup only
to c.u.x?  I will post a followup to all of the above groups with the results.

Thanks in advance...

| Robert J Woodhead      !uunet!cornell!biar!trebor     CompuServe 72447,37 |
| Biar Games, Inc., 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850  607-257-1708,3864(fax) |