Getting SLIP Operational

Don W. Willits willitd at mist.cs.orst.edu
Fri Mar 31 13:19:04 AEST 1989

We're attempting to set up the version of SLIP (serial line IP) included with
4.3 BSD, and have been encountering some problems.

We've been successful in establishing IP connections across a
serial line using slattach and ifconfig commands.  The connection has
been tested using telnet, ftp and ping.

The problem is we're suffering seemingly random and significant packet
loss.  Anywhere between 0 and 70% of our packets are lost while performing a
ping across the serial line.  All the sessions we've opened suffer from *VERY*
erratic response time, followed by eventual lock-up on both ends.  And
large packets (500+ bytes in ping, for example) almost always fail.

We're using two identical HP 9000 computers running 4.3 BSD.

We've tried different cables, different serial cards - with no luck.

We think this is a software problem, but even that is uncertain.

Can anyone out there in "netland" offer any advice or suggestions?

Thanx!
The Oregon State University SLIP group.

Erik Bennett
Tony Petrossian