Wierd problem with incoming CXY08 tty lines

Chris Siebenmann cks at white.toronto.edu
Fri Mar 31 13:18:02 AEST 1989

 We have a CXY08 (well, actually we have two, but we're only using the
one right now) under Ultrix 2.2 with all 8 lines connected up to a
DevelSwitch. The gettys on these lines are set up to autobaud
9600-2400-1200-9600. The DevelSwitch has both hardwired terminals and
dialin modems connected to it.

 Normally, everything works fine. However, every now and then when
someone dials in at 2400 baud the getty on the port refuses to
autobaud; a burst of what appears to be the initial 9600 baud banner
appears, and then nothing further appears, despite carriage returns
and breaks being sent. Killing and restarting the getty will often but
apparently not always clear up the problem. Testing from hardwired
terminals set to 2400 baud has so far failed to have the problem.

 Has anyone experienced something similar? Does anyone have any ideas
about what the problem and/or solution might be? Alternately, has
anyone written a program that takes the MODE longword from pstat -t
and prints it in a human-readable form (so I could try to see if
there's something odd set when a line gets wedged)?

 Thanks in advance; I will post a summary if response warrants it.

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"