Converting (WordStar || 1-2-3) ==> ASCII

Richard Perlman rdp at pbseps.UUCP
Thu Mar 30 12:30:40 AEST 1989

I am looking for a program (filter) to translate WordStar and/or
Lotus 1-2-3 documents to POA (Plain Old ASCII).  I realize each
of these programs has this capability built in, they do not
serve the needs of the specific applications I am working on.

* I would like to do the WordStar => ASCII conversion on the fly in
  a .bat file (without having to run WordStar) as part of a file
  transfer operation.

* While 1-2-3's "print-to-file [.prn] works for most applications,
  in this particular case the file is "wider" than 240 characters and
  1-2-3 insists on paneling the output file, which I must then
  "paste" back together again (minor pain).

BTW, in both cases the output goes to a UNIX (Sequent) system
so the conversion could take place in either the MS-DOS or UNIX
environments.

---
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp at PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233