Converting (WordStar || 1-2-3) ==> ASCII

Mitch Che che at pbhyf.PacBell.COM
Thu Mar 30 12:30:30 AEST 1989

In article <241 at pbseps.UUCP> rdp at pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:
>I am looking for a program (filter) to translate WordStar and/or
>Lotus 1-2-3 documents to POA (Plain Old ASCII).  I realize each

I have (gulp) a "freeware" program from 1984 (hey, this was before
anyone was worried about virus programs, right?) named wscnvn that
runs under PCDOS.  Don't know if newer versions are still available,
or if it is fully compatible with every version of Wordstar that
is now out (release 5 for instance).  A name and address are
given at the end.  Here is all the documentation that exists.
========================
"This program has been used extensively to port files between Wordstar
and a large variety of other word processors on micros (PC DOS, MS DOS
and CP/M systems) and minis (DEC VAX, UNIX systems) as well as
dedicated word processors (NBI, WANG, DEC Writer systems).

The main problem encountered with transferring a file to Wordstar is
that paragraph reform is lost because every line has a hard carriage
return. The main problem with exporting Wordstar files to other word
processors is that Wordstar uses the high order bit to form characters
which are non-ASCII i.e. 128-255.

The conversion of an output file from another word processor to Wordstar
is done with the "O" option in WSCNVN. Input which meets the criteria of
a soft paragraph is converted to a single string of text. When the file
is brought up into Wordstar, a file reform using ^Q^Q^B1 will produce a
standard file with paragraph reform active.

When the option "W" is selected, Wordstar files are converted according
to selections made by the user, and all the high order bit settings are
zapped to produce an ASCII file. The choices are:

     1) Carriage Returns - if Hard is selected, every lZe of Wordstar
text is ended with a CRLF to make it hard. If Soft is selected, all of
the Wordstar soft returns within a paragraph are deleted to form a
contiguous line of text. This will normally be automatically reformed
into paragraphs by the destination word processor.

     2) Dot Commands - if Strip is selected, all dot (.) commands
associated with print time forming are deleted from the file. MailMerge
commands are retained as they are probably of value to be known in the
destination word processor. If Retain is chosen, dot commands are
kept in the output file.

     3) Special Codes - if Strip is chosen, all of the special meaning
codes to Wordstar are stripped out except 'skip to new page' and tabs -
tabs are converted to spaces on an 8 byte boundary basis consistent with
the way Wordstar uses tabs. If Identify is chosen then <<^*>> is
displayed for every code, where * is the Wordstar operation e.g. B means
Bold printing. It is a simple matter to Find & Replace these fields with
the equivalent function of the destination word processor.

If you find this program useful, it is suggested that you forward a
contribution of $25 to:
                         SaraKoi
                         P.O. Box 2161
                         Saratoga CA 95070

Even if you do not contribute, please feel free distribute this program
freely to others so that they may benefit from the use of WSCNVN.

NOTE: It is possible to use special versions of WSCNVN to port files
between different word processors, and retain the special print form
capabilities of each automatically. Such versions are customized to the
user's preferences and may be contracted for at a standard fee of $250.
--
Mitch Che   Pacific Bell   415-823-2454
---------------------------------------  R&D excuse #1:"My dog ate my research."