latex problems

John M. Sellens jmsellens at watdragon.waterloo.edu
Thu Sep 7 23:22:54 AEST 1989

In article <16248 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> hwolkowicz at poppy.waterloo.edu (Henry Wolkowicz) writes:
>I can no longer access latex on poppy. It seems the path has changed. How
>should I change my path command? And for a more general question:
>how does showpath and searchpath work? What do I do if I want to find
>a file but have no idea where it is?

You don't appear to read uw.mfcf.system - the change was announced
August 24 along with information on how to solve the problem you have
run into.

You have commented out the PATH setting with searchpath in your .cshrc
and set it manually - this is the source of your problems.

The showpath and seachpath man pages should tell you how they work.  If
they don't tell you what you need to know, use gripe to complain about
the man pages or see a consultant.

Finding files - depends on what kind of file you're looking for. See
the man pages for which, fwhich, whereis, and find.

If you don't read the system news, and you don't use showpath or
searchpath, we can't help you.