searchpath problems

David Canzi dmcanzi at watshine.waterloo.edu
Fri Sep 8 15:24:17 AEST 1989

In article <16261 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> jmsellens at watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:
>If you don't read the system news, and you don't use showpath or
>searchpath, we can't help you.

	The relevant article in system_news is no longer available.
	Observe the following little experiment:

	First, I start with a typical path, as it might be set by a user
	who doesn't know about showpath...

1/1 watdcsu % echo $path
/u2/dmcanzi/bin /usr/ucb /bin /usr/bin
1/2 watdcsu % man showpath
man: No entry for showpath in the manual.

	Then I use showpath...

1/3 watdcsu % setenv PATH `showpath usedby=user standard`
1/4 watdcsu % man showpath

SHOWPATH(1)                User Commands               SHOWPATH(1)

Name:
     SHOWPATH - Display and format the names of various search
     paths.

	... etc.

	In order to find out how to use showpath, you have to use
	MFCF's modified man command.  In order to get access to MFCF's
	modified man command, you have to use showpath.

--
David Canzi			"All my life's a circle." -- Harry Chapin