SCO-printer device

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM!paulz
Tue Apr 16 02:27:13 AEST 1991

In article <4784 at gumby.Altos.COM> iheitla at cs.vu.nl (Ilja Heitlager) writes:
[ problems that occured from doing 'rm /dev/lp1' deleted]

}
}what should I do to get it back?
}

The following article from the SCO Information Tools database should help
with your problem.   I'm posting because I think this may be of general
interest.

################## cut here ################ cut here ##################

How do I restore the special files in /dev?

KEYWORDS:  crash restore dev device special files mknod fixperm xenix

RELEASE:  SCO XENIX System V Operating System Generic

HARDWARE:  all hardware configurations

PROBLEM:   I have accidentally removed some or all of my /dev files
           and I don't know how to restore them.

CAUSE:     The files in /dev are special device files.  Sysadmin
           (which uses the backup command) and cpio will back up
           these files, but tar will not.  These files also are
           not on your original distribution.

SOLUTION:  A single device special file can be created with the
           mknod command.  However, to restore large numbers of
           special files with mknod would be inefficient.  The
           fixperm command can be used to  restore some or all of
           your dev files.

           1. To restore all of your /dev files if you have no
              third party device drivers installed, use the following
              command (If you want to restore some of your /dev files,
              or if you have third party vendors, skip to #2.):

             fixperm -dRTS -dSER1 -dSER2 -dSER3 -dSER4 -dFD48
                     -dFD96 -dHD1 -dLPR -c -s /etc/perms/inst

	     If you are running SCO XENIX Release 2.3, use the
	     command:

             fixperm -dRTS -dSER1 -dSER2 -dSER3 -dSER4 -dFD48 -dFD96
	        -dHD1 -dLPR -c -s /etc/perms/inst /usr/lib/mkdev/perms/*

           Yes, that is all one command and will wrap around to
           the next line.

           2. To restore specific /dev files, you will need to know
           what package they are in.  In the above command, all the
           upper case names following a '-d' are package names.  The
           names of the files in each package are recorded in the perms
           files in the /etc/perms directory. With the following command,
           you can make a file named whatever you want, for example,
           devpacks which you can look at to find out which packages the
           files you want to restore are in:

             grep /dev/ /etc/perms/*  >  devpacks

           Then give the same fixperm command as above except only
           specify the packages you want to restore.

           You may notice that several files such as /dev/tty1a
           are in more than one package.  When restoring, specifying
           either package name would be fine.

           For example, to restore the files /dev/tty1a, /dev/lp0
           and /dev/lp1 you could give either one of the following two
           commands:

               fixperm -dSER1 -dLPR -c -s /etc/perms/inst

                              --OR--

               fixperm -dRTS -dLPR -c -s /etc/perms/inst

I hope this helps you with your problem.

Followups to: comp.unix.xenix.sco

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz at sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.