multiple gettys, why use them?

Darren Friedlein darren at bacchus.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 23:34:47 AEST 1988

In article <765 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>Why all this talk of multiple gettys?  I've never used them.
>What's wrong with 'Other Users' in the Office?

I can't find 'Other Users' in UA.  Is this a feature not found in 3.5?

>                                                The only people
>that I can think of who would want multiple gettys are those who don't
>use 'Office' and therefore can't do 'Other Users'.

This is I.

>                                                    Although
>those persons could always use 'su - user' to change users...  I'll bet that
>this, accompanied by a 'windy -b' would give you multiple windows...

But why do this when you can use multiple gettys?  The most common use I have
for this is when a window I'm working on freezes.  Instead of reaching in the
closet and pulling out the ole' adm3a, I just pop into another window and
"kill".  Another use is previewing a file while working on another without
taking up screen space in your editor.  My favorite use it to log in to one
wondow, set font slot 0 to my moria font (220x70?), go into another window,
start playing moria and dump the map on the previous screen so I can see the
whole thing.  Rather obscure use, but it's nice...

>Maybe you don't like Office because you sometimes login from a remote
>terminal.

I don't like Office (UA) becuase the windows are big and clumsy, it takes up
lots of memory, slows the system to a screaching halt (I only have 1meg now),
and is in general a poor user interface.  [oh no, now I've done it, millions
of UA fans after me :-].

>---
>Bob Ames
>Howard Publications, Inc.   Bell: 208-733-0931   INET: bob at rush.cts.com
>UUCP: {rutgers!ucsd, nosc, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush.cts.com!bob
>                                       or crash!rush!bob might work...

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
 \____/    __/   {mcnc|icus|ditka|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren