Further evidence of Convergent's hand in the UNIX PC

Bruce Schlobohm bms at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Thu Aug 25 03:48:29 AEST 1988

In article <470 at icus.UUCP>, lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?

Yes, an arbitrary UNIX-PC program will run on the Miniframe, and vice-versa,
with the exception of shared library programs, and hardware-specific
programs (bitmapped screen calls, onboard modem, etc).
As a matter of fact, Miniframes were used as the original build machines
to generate the first few releases (CT to AT&T) for the UNIX-PC.  We had
to modify the Miniframe's floppy driver to handle the 48TPI format, but the
Miniframe has the capacity for 2 disk drives, which for source builds was
important.
As I recall, to get the Safari project off to a fast start, CT used the
VM model, and the same sgs [although there were some changes in the sgs during
the project] of the Miniframe.  Thus the similarity in a.out formats.

--
Bruce Schlobohm
bms at Convergent.COM -or- {pyramid,sri-unix,pacbell}!ctnews!bms