Further evidence of Convergent's hand in the UNIX PC

d.e.wexelblat dwex at mtgzz.att.com
Wed Aug 24 22:11:08 AEST 1988

In article <470 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> While poking around in 'sdb' I happened to type "V" and I got this:
> I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?
>
> -Lenny

At school last year, Convergent gave us 2 dozen MiniFrames.  Since people
were actually going to try to use them for serious work (silly people),
there was a movement afoot to get Gnu Emacs running on them.  The MiniFrames
came with a silly no-flexnames compiler.  No one felt like dealing with the
SHORTNAMES stuff, so we tried taking Gnu 18.49 from my ATT 3B1 at home
an running it on the MiniFrame.  It ran with no problems, subshells and all.
Seeing as Gnu is an immense program with lots of annoying incompatibilities
between machines (just look at all the m- and s- files), we were amazed that
it ran.

--David Wexelblat
dwex at mtgzz.att.com
...!att!mtgzz!dwex