GNU C, GNU g++ & 2400 baud microcom

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at elgar.UUCP
Fri Jun 17 08:52:08 AEST 1988

In article <1118 at unisec.usi.com> dpw at unisec.usi.com (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
>I have two questions, first what changes are need to get the gnu cc to
>working on the Unix PC? (ex: ld, shared library & config files).  I know
>this is a repeat issue but I didn't have a interest until I got g++.  BTW
>I have version 1.22 of GCC.

I remember someone else saying they were working on gcc for the Unix PC,
but I went ahead and started working on it anyway.

I have gcc version 1.19 running on the Unix PC.  It generates SGS assembler
code, suitable for assembly with "/bin/as" and linking with "/bin/ld".  It
is compatible with the standard libraries.  Although I haven't tried using
the shared library, it should work fine.  I have been primarily using it
for cross development to a 68020 system, and therefore I have also ported
and tested all the 68020 and 68881 code generation, which are command-line
options.  I also made gcc support the CENVIRON environment variable in the
same way that the Unix PC assembler and linker do, allowing easy '020 and
'881 development.

The only real problem I encountered was that the Unix PC assembler
can't handle a relative-address switch table in the format gcc puts it
out, and gcc can't handle non-relative switch tables (the docs say it
can, but it dumps core).  I kludged around this by making gcc always
choose to use skip chains (a compare & jump sequence for each case),
which is not as efficient but required the smallest change to the
compiler source code.

I will be getting a newer version of gcc and putting together the diffs
needed for the Unix PC.  I'll let the world know when it's ready.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Once there were parking lots,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
now it's a peaceful oasis.		ford%kenobi at crash.CTS.COM
This was a Pizza Hut,			...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
now it's all covered with daisies." -- Talking Heads