More weirdness

Chris Siebenmann cks at ziebmef.uucp
Mon Jun 20 06:11:03 AEST 1988

In article <288 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>When the system is installed from floppy, the root directory, / is 777.
>From a security standpoint this is stupid. The real question is:
>Does the UNIXpc need root writable by everyone?

 As Lenny has said, no. In the stock installation, lots of directories
are mode 777 unnecessarily (like /etc). I think the 3B1 has to win the
'most unsecure Unix right out of the box' award; anyone know *why*
they did it this way (besides sloppy programming and setup)?

--
	But he said leave me alone I'm a family man
	And my bark is much worse than my bite