Compressed cpio to floppy: has anyone done this?

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Sat Jun 4 08:54:50 AEST 1988

I keep thinking of more things to do than there is time to do them (so what's
new), and here's one that has "almost" gotten to the top of the stack a bunch
of times.  Now I want to know if anyone else has done it.

A while ago there was a thing posted to one of the comp.sources groups that
was a cpio clone called 'afio'.  Has anyone made this work on the UNIX PC?
Has anyone added the stuff for multiple floppies on output?  Thus far, it
would be no better than what we've already got, but here's the point: has
anyone given it the option to pipe the output through compress before sending
it out?  Normally, one would build the pipe using the shell, but then you
can't get the results onto multiple floppies.

As an alternate, has anyone written a 'cat' clone that would send stuff to
multiple floppies?  Then I could build the pipeline cpio|compress|acat to
do the work.