Compressed cpio to floppy: has anyone done this?

Charlie Root root at rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU
Wed Jun 8 05:47:32 AEST 1988

I am not sure about cpio style archive programs, but I have developed a
version of the POSIX standard tar program released to comp.sources.unix
about 3-5 months ago.  It works quite well -- we use it to backup our
3B15, and some of the routines have been integrated from the backup program
we use to backup the rest of our center.  This program does incorporate
piping through compress AND multiple volume control.  (Admittedly, you
would need to tweek the parameters to work with a floppy.)  Since it is
quite a large program (compiles to >200K), sharing it qould require over
15 mail messages.  I will offer it to all people with ARPA acces, and with
enough coercing, I could post it to unix-pc.sources.

Jonathan Sadler
Computing Systems Labratory (CSL)
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin - Madison