another curious bug

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Wed Jun 29 22:42:02 AEST 1988

In article <378 at manta.UUCP> brant at manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>I've encountered this odd bug that I have so far been unable to find
>an explanation for.  It's pretty innocuous, doesn't happen very often,
>and is cured by a reboot.  The problem: the first shell spawned from
>the user agent (e.g., using "Full-screen UNIX" in 3.51) is attached to
>/dev/syscon instead of a /dev/wn.  Subsequent shells get the usual
>window device.

This is not considered a bug.

"syscon", by some descriptions is for "system console", which seems to
appear during a subshell, rather than a login shell.  Anyways...

At least ATT doesn't consider it a bug, and I've never noticed any
problems with it, and never even concerned myself with it since it's
always happened here.  ATT even puts checks for it in many of their
scripts.  When checking your device to make sure you're on the console
screen, they'll check for both /dev/w and /dev/sys to make sure they
catch it.

>*something* must be wrong somewhere.

I wouldn't be concerned by it.

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.