another curious bug

Brant Cheikes brant at manta.UUCP
Mon Jun 27 05:33:52 AEST 1988

I've encountered this odd bug that I have so far been unable to find
an explanation for.  It's pretty innocuous, doesn't happen very often,
and is cured by a reboot.  The problem: the first shell spawned from
the user agent (e.g., using "Full-screen UNIX" in 3.51) is attached to
/dev/syscon instead of a /dev/wn.  Subsequent shells get the usual
window device.  You can detect this problem by running either tty or
ps.  This hasn't caused me any problems so far, I've checked utmp and
wtmp and the /dev/w* entries, everthing looks normal.  Still,
*something* must be wrong somewhere.  Is there some way to cure this
without rebooting?  And is there anything wrong with just using
/dev/syscon?  The UNIXpc kernel continues to work [sic] in strange
and wondrous ways.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania