Which UNIX pc kernel is better? 3.51 or 3.51a?

Dave Yearke dgy at sigmast.UUCP
Thu Jun 9 02:13:07 AEST 1988

In article <737 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
>I've been told that there is a bug in a PROM on the COMBO cards.  I've
>heard a rumor that this kernel panic bug is related to these defective
>PROMs, which I've heard AT&T will replace for free.  I've lost the
>information on how to determine whether you've got the old, bad PROM
>or the new one.

Yes, AT&T will replace the chip for free if you have a bad one.  Here's what
you can do:

1)  Pull the combo board out of the machine.

2)  Look for a small white square along the edge.  If it has an "F" or higher
    ("G", "H", ...) you have the bad one.

3)  Call the hotline.  Have the serial number of your machine handy, and keep
    the combo board in front of you, because they will probably ask you for the
    manufacture and code of the chip (it's the big socketed one in the middle
    of the board towards the serial connectors).

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with AT&T.  We had a problem with a curses
application that was receiving spurious delete characters, but only from
terminals connected to the combo board.  After replacing the chip, the problem
went away.

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221