Fan change in UNIX-PC

Dave Lampe djl at dplace.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 01:10:47 AEST 1988

Has anyone changed the DC fan in the AT&T UNIX-PC/7300 to an AC fan?

I changed the disk in my 7300 a month ago and was woried about overloading
the power supply since the screen wavers when a lot of disk activity is
going on, like when expire is running. I thought the simplest way to
increase the size of the power supply would be to take the load of the
DC powered fan off by replacing it with 2 AC powered fans, also increase
the cooling which couldn't hurt.

So I bought 2 Radio Shack specials, took out the old fan and put in the
new ones. Easy change. Powered the system back up and then the fun started.
In the next 18 hours I had 4 panic crashes. I hadn't had any since my
motherboard was replaced in October. I took the AC fans out and replaced
the DC fan and everything has run fine for 2 days.

I think there was an article posted a while back (from Craig Voltava?)
about this change. Is there anything else I should have done? More
shielding or som filter cap somewhere?

Dave Lampe
{ihnp4 | ames | lll-tis | sun | pyramid}!pacbell!dplace!djl
(415) 455-1571