HDB and rel 3.0: Should I upgrade to HDB?

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.zone1.com
Tue Jun 28 03:10:57 AEST 1988

In article <577 at n8emr.UUCP> gws at n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders (n8emr)) writes:
>Yes you should bother with it, but You cant really get it.. It was
>available for a very short time via the STORE, and I am sure that a
>few folks may have picked it up then, but Now its available via the

Here's a good question for you all.  Suppose that I was one of those "few folks"
that grabbed HDB during it's shorted-lived appearance on the STORE.  Since no
restrictions have ever been placed on any of the stuff that I've gotten from
the STORE, am I now free to distribute copies of HDB?  How about this scenario:
suppose someone who had been able to download HDB set up a shell script to take
all of the stuff they had gotten from the STORE and post it to unix-pc.sources.
Could that person be taken to court by ATT for posting licensed software even
though they received the software from ATT without any license restrictions?

PLEASE NOTE: this posting should not be mis-construed as a statement to the
effect that I am in possession of a copy of HDB.  Do not send me messages
requesting a copy of HDB.  I am simply playing a game of "what if".
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave