HDB and rel 3.0: Should I upgrade to HDB?

Ken Brassler ken at maxepr.UUCP
Tue Jun 28 08:19:22 AEST 1988

In article <479 at galaxia.zone1.com> dave at galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) writes:

>Here's a good question for you all.  Suppose that I was one of those "few folks"
>that grabbed HDB during it's shorted-lived appearance on the STORE.  Since no
>restrictions have ever been placed on any of the stuff that I've gotten from
>the STORE, am I now free to distribute copies of HDB?

It's my personal opinion that you are free to redistribute copies of
the same version of HDB, that was available from the STORE, before it
was placed under the password section. Here is a copy of an article
I saved concerning a different piece of STORE software, but I think
the meaning is clear. (Sorry, I didn't save the header)

In article <1050 at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen at kbsvax.UUCP (william E Davidsen) writes:
>In article <9300001 at bradley> brad at bradley.UUCP writes:
>>I am looking for an easy example on how one changes the icon on the UNIXPC.
>There was a program to do this from THE STORE! I don't know if those
>programs are supposed to be posted or not. Can someone give me info on that?

The program in question is called ICONOCLAST. I was unable (in a 30-second
scan) to work out whether it is currently in the public department of
THE STORE! or not. However, anyone who has a copy of anything they got
off THE STORE! can freely repost it. Let me re-iterate that nothing
from THE STORE! is supported in any way, shape or form by AT&T.

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.

(end of saved article)

I don't know Jonathan's official title within AT&T, but he did
present himself to the net as a big honcho in the UNIX-PC project.
Besides, there is no doubt that the HDB binaries from the STORE were
in the public domain. I don't see how you can rescind that.

AT&T's main reason for closing the STORE, was that people were
calling the hotline to inquire about usage of STORE software. Thus,
John's declaration of non-support above.
--

Ken Brassler {ihnp4|qantel|pyramid|lll-crg}!pacbell!maxepr!ken