Which UNIX pc kernel is better? 3.51 or 3.51a (or 3.5.1.4)?

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Fri Jun 10 22:50:26 AEST 1988

>How are the real 3.51(a) and the 3.5.1.4 upgrade related?  I'm guessing that
>it's basically the same kernel but the rest of the stuff that changed
>isn't there.  Am I right?

Nope.  3.5 and 3.51 are two entirely different kernels complete with
entirely different support programs.  But in so many places they look
so surprisingly similar, you'd believe they were the same... :-)

3.51 has superseded 3.5 for a long time now.  As I understand it, all
the support and fixes are now being directed to 3.51 only.  The only
time any fixes will be made available in the future for any other
version level is to resolve a serious problem, but I hear that it
still doesn't cover 3.0, which will no longer receive support...

3.5.1.4 and 3.51a are not related in any way (although there might be
some similiarities.  I'm not clear on the fixes included in 3.5.1.4).

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.