Which UNIX pc kernel is better? 3.51 or 3.51a (or 3.5.1.4)?

John C. Sucilla jcs at tarkus.UUCP
Thu Jun 9 12:23:11 AEST 1988

In article <737 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
>In article <536 at sialis.mn.org>, rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>> >Which kernel has the "net-at-large" found to be more reliable for a system
>> >with heavy UUCP traffic?
>>
>> NOTE:  These problems will _only_ occur if you are using the On Board
>> Modem for UUCP type stuff.  If you use a modem attached to any of the
>> serial ports rather than use the OBM, you'll never see this problem.
>
> No.  This is the second time I've read this on the net, so I'm speaking up.

I've been running on 3.5 practically crash free for several months until
I loaded the 3.5.1.4 upgrade about a week ago.  I got up one morning and
the machine was froze so I powered it down and went off to work.  When I got
home I powered it back up and got to execute about 4 times and it panic'ed
on vector 4.  I booted again  and it ran a little longer but then I got some
thing i've never seen before, it said: *hpte: 0x6028.  Then it double
panic'ed with an NMI (kernel parity).  It's been up 24 hours now and is still
running.

I'm running a TrailBlazer + on tty001 and an AT&T PC6300 (which was powered
down at the time) on tty002.  The OBM and tty000 are unused.

First of all, whats hpte? Second, is this just a fluke or are these some of
the 3.51(a) symptoms?  Am I better off with 3.50?

How are the real 3.51(a) and the 3.5.1.4 upgrade related?  I'm guessing that
it's basically the same kernel but the rest of the stuff that changed
isn't there.  Am I right?
--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {ihnp4,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs