mailx for 3b1 ver 3.0

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Tue Jun 21 07:41:39 AEST 1988

In article <4505 at killer.UUCP> sean at killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) writes:
 >In article <916 at flatline.UUCP>, erict at flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
 >>
 >> I recently saw a reference to "getting mailx from The Store!".  I
 >> check the version of the catalog I have.  9/01/87.  No bueno.
 >> Is there a version of the catalog newer than that?  I check
 >> last month, and there wasn't.
 >

 >As far as I know, mailx for unix-pc is available only to AT&T employees.
 >It's in the AT&T "Private Department" along with Honey DanBer and some
 >other stuff.
 >
 >(I haven't had a 7300/3b1 since March, so I may be speaking from ignorance,
 >but I don't believe those "Private" things have become public.)

Right.

However, as an ex-mailx-from-the-store user, I can recommend mush, which
was recently posted to the comp.sources.somethingorother group.  It has
stuff in it for tailoring to the UNIX PC.  While still imperfect, it is
a better tool with its bugs than mailx is in its perfection.

Besides, you get source, and you can help Dan Heller find out what is wrong
with the curses interface on the UNIX PC.  (I have not had the time and
inclination).  Dan only has BSD unix, so has some trouble keeping the
thing current on SYSV boxes.  With help, this could become just as good
for us.

I had mailx for a long time.  I forget my reasons at the time, but I remember
thinking that Elm was much better when I changed over to that.  The support
for Elm stopped, with some annoying bugs still unfixed, and after a couple
of years I changed over to mush.  I have had it a few months, and like it
a lot, more than Elm.  I use mush and smail (both are supplied with sources).

Find it from an archive, or from some nearby neighbor, or mail me and we'll
see what we can work out.