UNIX-pc Expectations (Was Re: More weirdness) [LONG]

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Wed Jun 29 22:36:42 AEST 1988

>Side note -- as I said in my last posting -- I think that many of the problems
>in the UNIX pc are SOFTWARE related.  I know there are folks at AT&T who read
>this group...  Being someone who works for a company that does software
>development, I know that certain things can't be fixed because company policy
>and/or admin.($$) prohibits it.  However, there is a very large group of UNIX pc
>users out here, and I think AT&T should begin to consider a better support
>policy for those of us with UNIX pcs.  If they are NOT going to do this, then
>how about putting out feelers for some kind of 3rd party OS/utility software
>maintenance/development?  I have a definite interest in this kind of
>arrangement.

This suggestion has been made numerous times via "direct" means.

Certain parts of ATT itself had difficulty getting the sources they
require.  There's also an apparent catch-22 running here.  The source
code that was purchased from Convergent is still being sold by
Convergent in its original state, which is nothing like the current
state.  Convergent still holds their copyrights on that.

ATT has made several modifications and additions to the source, since
they are licensed to.  ATT cannot distribute or sell anything except
binaries.  Whether they can distribute diffs of their additions is
another question.

So, apparently the only way to get 3b1 source is to purchase the
original base software from Convergent (hello site licensing costs :-)
and convince someone at ATT to provide you with their diffs, if:

  - They legally can.
  - You can find someone who'll actually go _through_ that kind of
    gruelling pain.  UGH!

Also, Convergent has replaced that original version of Unix with
another, so the first is somewhat de-emphasised.  ATT has orphaned the
3b1, and has de-emphasised it as much as they possibly can.  So,
you'll get little interest or response (corporately) from either
party, although Convergent will be more than happy to sell you their
source (whatever that looks like).

(Note: This summary has been pieced together by pieces of information
provided by ATT and Convergent folx.  If there are any particular
errors, sorry.  I have no way of confirming all the little details :-)

Certain ATT technicians and others have expressed definate interest in
allowing third party support, but admit themselves they honestly
wouldn't even know who to talk to.  ATT will fix significant problems,
only if you can convince them it's really "broken" and _must_ be
fixed.  Strange short term support, in my mind.  There are items that
are "broken", and yet still operate.  These will probably never be
repaired.

In any case, the third parties are willing to repair these, add new
features and enhance existing software.  These are the things the
users are looking for, and ATT won't spend time or money to do.  So,
the end loser is the user and purchasers.  ATT won't invest a large
amount in support, and ATT can't distribute the source.  Convergent
can sell their original base source, but it's not the same system.

Argh!

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.