How many others use Virtual Device Interface?

j eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Sun Jun 19 10:14:51 AEST 1988

I've got the Virtual Device Interface package for the 3b1 running
rel 3.0 UNIX.

What I'm wondering, is, does anybody else use this?

I'm about to start fiddling with graphics stuff on the 3b1.  I'd
like to be able to ship anything I write to other people.  I know
curses is the supposed standard of unix, but I don't have a full
implementation, and the stuff I'm writing will be "real" bit-map
graphics.

The package I have (claims to) support:
(among other things)
AT&T 470, 455, UNIX-PC;
CIT101, 161;
Diablo C150;
Epson MX100, 80;
HP 7470-A, 7475-A;
Okidata 92/93;
Strobe 100,200,260;
Tektronix 4105;
and VT100 with "Retro-Graphics Card (tm)".

So what's the verdict?  If I write using VDI, will only UNIX-PC users
ever be able to use it, or do other UNIXes support this?

It also talks about making things "METAFONT" compatible.. What's
that?  (I seem to remember seeing a Metafont book near a TeX book in the
bookstore.  Any relation?)
thx in advance.
--
"It was men made her that way,             Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
it was us made her that way." -- from "Airhead" by Thomas Dolby