More weirdness

loci!clb loci at killer.UUCP
Sun Jun 26 04:38:57 AEST 1988

In article <954 at flatline.UUCP>, erict at flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
> In article <1988Jun19.161105.2799 at ziebmef.uucp>, cks at ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
> > I think the 3B1 has to win the
> > 'most unsecure Unix right out of the box' award; anyone know *why*
> > they did it this way (besides sloppy programming and setup)?
>
> My guess:  the unix-pc was not intended for use:
>
> 1. by more than 2 people at a time, more than 1 in a development situation;
> 2. as a standalone, or as a single-user node for a LAN;
> 3. in situations where users did not trust one another, or the sysadmin
>    did not trust the users.

	Here we go again. Periodically, for some reason, everyone seems
	to flame anything and everything about their unixpc and I feel
	compelled to say ...

	MY UNIXPC WORKS FINE AND I LIKE IT. Don't get me wrong, I know
	that there are some problems and I some combinations that don't
	work so well, but my system is quite stable and reliable. It
	has been on line for as much as six months at a time, without
	panics or anything.

	On the other hand, I know a couple of things that are sure kills
	on the machine, like exiting from DOS-73 in skinny font or doing
	a rastop to an odd address, but mostly the unixpc is every bit as
	good as any machine I've ever seen and much better than most.

	What am I running? SysV, vers. 3.0, standard uucp, OBM, smail.
	What am I not running? ua, ph (the PANIC BUTTON program took
	over the ph spot on the upper line). I used to have trouble
	running several users but more ram fixed that. Development
	can coexist with hack and uucp or whatever.

	SO...please try to keep some balance here. the unixpc isn't
	perfect but it's not that bad either.

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083
	   clb at loci.uucp, loci at killer.uucp, loci at csccat.uucp