3.51a keeps dying; even HDB is a mess; any ideas out there?

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Fri Jun 24 14:51:38 AEST 1988

I have been having bad results lately, and don't quite know what to blame
it on.  I know there has been a lot of discussion on the unix-pc net lately
about reliability of various configurations, but I have not been paying
enough attention to be aware if there's a consensus.

As an ex-beta test site, I have several versions of the software running
around here, but I am up to rev at the moment with 3.51 OS and utilities,
and 3.51a kernel.  I'm running a pretty recent HDB from THE STORE!

I am distressed because my machine keeps freezing on me.  It seems pretty
clearly related to uucp traffic.  Just about 15 minutes ago, it froze for
the first time while I was watching it.  It was just at the end of an
incoming uucp call (my unix-pc feed, to be exact), and it left something
for cunbatch in /lost+found.  This means that the freezing is costing me
dropped news, which is something I have suspected for some time.

Anyway, in addition to the above, I am running a Telebit Trailblazer Plus
on /dev/tty002 to handle all data calls.  I would even consider getting a
third phone line in here and resurrecting the OBM for some stuff if that
would help.

What I'm looking for is some opinions from you folks who have been paying
attention.  I want to know what configuration is the most reliable.  I can
back off to 3.51 or even 3.50 kernel, I can play with uucp versions, I can
even reactivate the OBM for my 1200 baud traffic if I must (and GTE willing:
I seem to be wired for 6 pairs in this house, thank goodness).

But I want some informed opinions; I know you're out there, there's lots
of talent running around this net.  There ought to be some way to figure
out a configuration that won't keep barfing in the middle of uupc
traffic.

Thanks,

Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin at kosman ) voice: 805-984-8042
  Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035