UNIX pc fan 27CFM vs. 34CFM and 12VDC vs. 120VAC?

j eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Thu Jun 30 09:03:52 AEST 1988

In article <198 at elgar.UUCP>, ford at elgar.UUCP writes:

> I have heard many stories of 3b1's dying because of temperature
> problems.  When mine was serviced (it was DOA when I got it), the AT&T
> technician warned me to make sure the back end of the system was
> always given access to air flow (so the fan(s) don't have to work too
> hard).  He said he had seen several 3b1's with the top of the case (to
> the right side of the monitor) melted down into the power supply.

Well, right now I'm running a 3b1, 3.5Mb RAM, 67Mb HD in an
unairconditioned apartment in a two floor duplex.  There are trees
and such around the south and north sides, an apartment on the north side,
so sunlight only seeps in after about 1800hrs.  I have a window fan
that sucks air through the house at a pretty nice clip.  Avg interior
temp is probably around 90F or so.  About once every hour or so, the
fan kicks into what sounds like high gear for a few minutes.

I've had no overheating problems of any sort at all.  I keep 2 in open
on the right and left sides, 8 in in the front and back.  Airflow seems
to be good, but there's a lot of dust in this old house, so I have
to open it up and clean it out once every now and again... :-(

Hope this info was useful to someone.

--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007