/bin/as (now gcc)

Bob Rose rrr at naucse.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 06:19:59 AEST 1988

In article <1018 at umbc3.UMD.EDU>, alex at umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:

> 	ARRRGGGGGG! Has anyone ever managed to get the %!*$# assembler to
> take rel-rel expressions? Ie: some thing like
>
> 	mov.w	L2-L1(%pc,%d0.w),%d0
> 		^^^^^
Alex, this looks just like the code gcc produces. AMAZING! :^)
If you are tring to get gcc-1.22 up just replace the L2-L1
(or any labels they may happen to be) with the magic number ten. (i.e. 10)
(It occurs three times in tm-3b1.h)
Also since were on the subject of gcc I've been doing some hacking
on it myself, you may be interested in the following drystones.

		 Compile time		drystones/second
					 noreg     reg

cc		1m51.96s real		 998.3	1071.4
		  58.95s user
		  12.46s sys

gcc		2m17.31s real		1020.4	1020.4
		  53.25s user
		  13.91s sys

gcc-hack1	2m36.78s real		1207.2	1207.2
		  53.70s user
		  16.73s sys

When I get it working (yes I broke it but it runs so much faster)
I'll post the diff.
                              -bob