HDB and rel 3.0: Should I upgrade to HDB?

Bob Ames bob at rush.cts.com
Fri Jun 24 15:00:48 AEST 1988

In article <936 at flatline.UUCP>, erict at flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

> I'm running rel 3.0 on my 3b1, and as I'm about to reinstall all
> my software (long story) I was wondering if I should bother with
> HoneyDanBer for my machine...
>
> I've heard non-unix-pc'ers praise HDB, but I don't remember hearing
> much from unix-pc users that use HDB..
>
> J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007

Since the old version of HDB3.0 for the unix pc is in the Public Domain,
I heartily recommend it.  Appearently 3.5[01] and the new 3.0 HDB is not
in the PD, as evidenced by the new passwords on the Store.

Before I get flamed, here are my reasons for believing HDB2.0, old HDB3.0,
MAILX, KSH, HACK, ROGUE, and all other software that appeared on all
catalogs before 6/27/86 (when the passwords appeared) are in the Public Domain.

1.  The AT&T hotline gave me access to the Store.  This definately
    affected my decision to purchase several more unix-pcs.

2.  The old version of the store, upon installation, encouraged users
    to redistribute store stuff, to "encourage wider distribution"
    [I don't remember the exact quote, but that is the jist of it].

3.  These items were available on the store.

4.  At no time has there *EVER* been *ANY* message on the store stating
    that some software should not be downloaded because it isn't in the
    public domain.  In fact, the store *still* encourages users to
    contribute software.

There you have it.  And *NO*, I'm not willing to re-distribute even this
stuff as I'm not sure if the version I have may have been updated since
these Public Domain programs were received.

Putting on my asbestos suit |-)

Bob Ames      INET: bob at rush.cts.com

Rush UNIKS PC Support Center   Bell: 208-733-0931
UUCP: {cbosgd, ucsd, nosc, sun!ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush!bob
"I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!"

"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - N Peart 1987