Which UNIX pc kernel is better? 3.51 or 3.51a?

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Tue Jun 7 05:25:24 AEST 1988

In article <380 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Which kernel has the "net-at-large" found to be more reliable for a system
>with heavy UUCP traffic?

I frequently dial into ditka from a vt340 pretending to be a
vt100.  After running uEmacs, rn, Elm, or just about anything
else that does fancy-ish screen stuff, the 3.51a kernel goes
into a mode where all output looks sort of like it's got the
wrong baud rate (but not exactly).  The Hot-Line folks said
"Yup, it's hosed"; I switched back to the 3.51 kernel.

With 3.51 I was seeing a fair number of the hung window
manager problems until I got HDB and a TrailBlazer.  Not
sure which one did the trick, but I've only had one crash
of any kind since then, and that was a memory parity error.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{pacbell,emoryu1,decvax!formtek}!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)