Which UNIX pc kernel is better? 3.51 or 3.51a?

Bob "Rush" Ames bob at rush.cts.com
Tue Jun 7 08:49:25 AEST 1988

In article <536 at sialis.mn.org>, rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
> >Which kernel has the "net-at-large" found to be more reliable for a system
> >with heavy UUCP traffic?
>
> NOTE:  These problems will _only_ occur if you are using the On Board
> Modem for UUCP type stuff.  If you use a modem attached to any of the
> serial ports rather than use the OBM, you'll never see this problem.
> Also, these problems do not occur if you use the OBM for cu.

No.  This is the second time I've read this on the net, so I'm speaking up.

I'm running with 3.51 because whenever I move 3.51a to /unix I get
about 2 panics a day.  I'm NOT USING the OBM.  I am using HDB, 2400 Baud
external modem, system configured for ONE VOICE line.

I have run 3.51 for about 3 months without a re-boot.  Whenever I
try 3.51a I'm down within 8 hours.

I've been told that there is a bug in a PROM on the COMBO cards.  I've
heard a rumor that this kernel panic bug is related to these defective
PROMs, which I've heard AT&T will replace for free.  I've lost the
information on how to determine whether you've got the old, bad PROM
or the new one.

3.51, 2.5Mb, 67Mb, HDB, 1 voice line, tty000: 2400Baud modem, tty001: tvi950

To prove that OBM has nothing to do with this, I configured as one voice
line.  Even with the OBM totally disconnected and no inittab entries for it,
(coloned out ph1 line) I still paniced.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the old kernel, although the other
fixes on the disk are quite good.

Bob Ames @ Rush UNIKS PC Support Center 619-432-6860   INET: bob at rush.cts.com
UUCP: {cbosgd, ucsd, nosc, sun!ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush!bob
                                                     jack!/
"We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise" - Neil Peart 1987