GNU: gcc on the 3b1

Alex S. Crain alex at umbc3.UMD.EDU
Wed Mar 30 06:49:55 AEST 1988

In article <5124 at sigi.Colorado.EDU> benten at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Muhammad S. Benten) writes:
>Hi,
>	I'm trying to install gcc and g++ on my 3b1 using the
>recently posted patches, but cpp is spitting the following
>messages:
>

>./tm.h: 252: too much defining
	[more of the same deleted]

	The GNU folks solved their portability problems by #defining all
machine dependant code and then including the appropriate header files.
consequently, /lib/cpp gets very ill after its tables get filled up.

	The solution is to use the cpp that comes with gcc (or emacs). to
do this, make cpp in the gcc directory, then install it as /lib/cpp. BE
SURE TO SAVE YOUR OLD CPP! GNU cpp is superior in many ways to the stock
cpp, but the stock cc has a bug that relies on the behavior of the old cpp.
Later, gcc will want to set up its own lib directory, (/usr/local/lib by
default) and you can reinstall the stock cpp as /lib/cpp.

	The bug in cc is in the way #line instructions are handled. If a
#line <line> <filename> directive is immediatly followed by another #line
directive, cc forgets what file it is in, and sdb breaks completely. I
fixed this once (ie: fixed cpp to never be confusing to cc), but I lost
the fix, so I'll fix it again and post it.

--
					:alex.

nerwin!alex at umbc3.umd.edu
alex at umbc3.umd.edu