Hard Disk questions

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.UUCP
Tue Aug 15 03:41:28 AEST 1989

In article <569 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
> In article <701 at argon.UUCP> ebh at argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:
> >In article <19995 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> >>MB, formatted (std, 17 sec/trk)	42.8			71.2
> >>
> >>MB, formatted (UNIXPC, 16 sec/trk)	40.3			67.1
> >>(ignoring the spare sec per track)
> >
> >What does the Unix PC do with that extra sector?  Is that how it
> >remaps bad blocks?
>
> Yes, that's how "it" does it...

Some of you may recall that this article was posted by jbm way back on 3 July.
It would appear that there's a problem out on the net that has been affecting
virtually all newsgroups (I guess) which results in ancient messages coming
back to haunt us.  If you preserve your news log files for a long time, the
articles would be rejected as duplicates.  But I, for one, expire my logs.

Anyway, I just thought y'all might like to know.  Here are excerpts from some
recent traffic in news.admin that discuss the problem:

|--------------------------- cut here ----------------------------

|<1025 at cernvax.UUCP>
|<1049 at philmds.UUCP>

BTW, I have confirmed that the path segment quoted in these messages was
in fact in the duplicate articles I have received.  I also found the problem
affecting comp.sources.misc (of all things!).

Beware!

--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts			  {ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst