Nethack 3.0 compile hassle

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Wed Aug 2 00:11:09 AEST 1989

In article <217 at labii.UUCP> shevett at labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) writes:
>Ok - I get all set up "Gee!  Nethack 3.0!  And LOOK!  It'll run on my
>little ol 7300.  How sweet."
>
>Many edits, shars, and tinkers later, I get the following compiler error:
>
>	cc -O -I../include -c apply.c
>Assember: apply.c
>aline   359 : branch offset is too remote
>*** Error code 1
>Stop

Yeah.  Stop.

I deleted the rest of the message, but you're using the stock cc, right?

You've also got a configuration switch defined in there somewhere that
turns on the use of bitfields to make structs more compact.

The problem is that in this configuration, cc generates short branch
instructions for parts of 'if' commands, when it cannot really tell that
a short branch will get there.

You have two solutions: turn off bitfields, or turn to gcc.

Enjoy.