Nethack 3.0 compile hassle

Mike Tripicco miket at astro.UMD.EDU
Tue Aug 1 01:22:21 AEST 1989

In article <217 at labii.UUCP> shevett at labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) writes:

>Many edits, shars, and tinkers later, I get the following compiler error:
>
>	cc -O -I../include -c apply.c
>Assember: apply.c
>aline   359 : branch offset is too remote
>*** Error code 1
>Stop
>Here's the config:  3b1 w/1.5 meg Ram, 67 meg drv, 3.5 OS.

This problem also occurred for earlier versions of nethack on my 3b1,
so I was ready for it when it happened here--the optimizer evidently
generates bad code in a couple of cases. I think it happens only for
apply.c and read.c--just wait for the error and retype the offending
compile line *without* invoking the optimizer:
                  cc -I../include -c apply.c
and when this finishes, just type "make" again.  Simple as that.

I did have one unpleasant experience with nh3.0 on my 3b1 though; I got
the dreaded memory fault---the error message was something like:
              monsndx--error indexing monster (f0000)
The game crashed, and a save file was created. However I can't get it
to restart that game. I'm worried because this happened the first (and
only) time I reached Dlvl 5--I hope it won't happen *every* time!

Anyone know any more about this?

MikeT    (miket at astro.umd.edu)