Large programs core dumping upon execution

Bob Ames bob at rush.cts.com
Thu Aug 3 10:34:38 AEST 1989

In article <211 at comhex.UUCP> sysop at comhex.UUCP (Joe E. Powell) writes:
>Has anyone else ever noticed that very large (over 300K) files
>sometimes tend to core dump when they are invoked?  They usually
>work fine, but every now and again, the program will just refuse
>to start up.  Is it just me or have other people had this happen?
>
>I've noticed this occasionally on nethack and moria, but more
>often with gcc (esp gcc 1.35).
>
>I'm running 3.51a, with a 40 MB drive and 2.5 MB of RAM.

I don`t have gcc, but I have the same thing happen on moria.  I have
never seen nethack2.2 have a problem.

On a slightly related subject, I`ve been trying, for about 1 YEAR, to get
a version of nethack higher than 2.2.  I`ve never seen kitchen
sinks...

Does *anybody* have a working 2.3x version that wouldn`t be too hard
to the unix-pc?  I can now FTP, I think, if provided exact instructions
after the 'ftp site.name.xxf.fgr' command...  Or I could call you...
Or I could send disks with SASE...  Or I could ....  Or I could ....

Also, What`s happened to killer?  I finally got a DOS card for this
beast and now can`t get to killer to get ibm-pc archives |-(

Sorry for all these subjects, I only get unix-pc.all currently.

Bob Ames

Bob Ames   The National Organization for  the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML
"Pot is the world's best source of complete protein, alcohol fuel, and paper,
is the best fire de-erosion seed, and is america's largest cash crop." - USDA
bob at rush.cts.com or ncr-sd!rush!bob at nosc.mil  or rutgers!ucsd!ncr-sd!rush!bob
619-741-UN2X "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise," Rush