40 meg hard drive for 7300 without modifications??

Jan Isley jan at bagend.UUCP
Thu Aug 3 10:31:35 AEST 1989

In article <46 at docwrk.UUCP> srh at docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) writes:
>Is there a fairly reliable 40 meg drive out there that can be installed
>on the 7300 with minimum hassle and no hardware modifications?  Or am I
>dreaming?

In the last year and a half, I have installed hundreds of drives in unix pcs.
Here are some stats, rough estimates on quantities, but you get the picture.

Seagate
-------
251-1	2 failures, 100 units.
151-1	0 failures,  20 units.
4096	0 failures,  30 units, without P5.1 upgrade.
4096	0 failures,   5 units, with P5.1 upgrade.

Microscience
------------
1050	0 failures, 30 units.
1075   10 failures, 30 units.
1090   12 failures, 40 units, with WD2010 chip.

Miniscribe
3085    0 failures, 40 units, with WD2010 chip.

Again, these quantities are rounded estimates, but the picture is fairly
accurate.  I have had other weird problems with the Miniscribe, see my posting
last week for this.

Jan
---
jan at bagend | gatech!bagend!jan | h (404)434-1335 | w (404)425-5700

	Humankind cannot bear very much reality.   T. S. Eliot