Step rate change (WD2010) Some

root at spdyne.UUCP root at spdyne.UUCP
Wed Aug 30 15:25:54 AEST 1989

/* Written by dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM in unixpc.general */
[Deletions...]
> ++++
> A follow-up to a different posting:

[Mine, I presume..]

> Yes that is 6.5 milliseconds for step 13, which is important.
> A step rate of 14 is horrendously slow on the WD1010, its definition
> was changed on the WD2010, since no one had used it anyhow.

    Is that 6.5 Milliseconds per Step Pulse? (Or per Seek?)

I seem to remember that it was in MicroSeconds on a controller that I
was using once, If it is indeed milliseconds, then the disk would
have an access time of 2-4 Seconds Ave.

[Assuming 600 to 1K Cyl.  (.0065 Sec/Step * 300 Cyl [Ave.] = 1.95 Sec)]

This wouldn't be horrendously slow, It would be effectively stopped..

    I seem to remember the drive that I was writing a driver for could
be stepped at 3us, and buffered up the requests or something...