Unix-pc steprate: some measurements...

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Wed Aug 30 01:04:00 AEST 1989

I've run Lenny's step rate exerciser on my system and thought
I'd post the results.

The system:  3B1 3.5MB memory, UNIX 3.5, 40MB internal (miniscribe??)
				         80MB external (CDC swift, 17.5ms)
		WD2010 installed.

Internal Drive   (maximum distance: 41,942,528)
		Steprate 0			Steprate 14
long seeks:	    9				    7
random seeks:       6   			    4
converging seeks: 910				  710
sequential seeks: 300				  300

   (Note: Since I ran these tests on my 'normal' system load, I've
	rounded the times.  All times represent the consensus of
	several runs of 'testit'.)

External Drive   (maximum distance: 79,035,904)
		Steprate 0			Steprate 14
long seeks:	    7				    5
random seeks:       2   			    3!
converging seeks:1510				  860!!
sequential seeks: 570				  570

On the Swift, I'm assuming that the speed of random seeks is approaching
granularity.  I may run that again with more iterations sometime.  Note
that for the converging seeks test, the step rate gives a >40% improvement!

As expected, the sequential seek tests show no real difference.

Thanks Lenny, for posting the program!  (And for the earlier posting
of ivfix!!)
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}