(1) Switching disks; (2) CompuAdd "Support" [ :-( ]

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Aug 13 11:44:56 AEST 1989

Concern was expressed in (John's?) reply-posting about Miniscribe 3085 drives.

For those who remember the postings ~10 days ago about Miniscribe's viability,
it appears that "Big Red's" cash infusion has rejuvenated Miniscribe.

>From replies I've received, it would appear that "Big Red" is PR1ME Computer
and not Unisys (which was my original guess).

Miniscribe 3085 drives are again available, newly manufactured, in large
quantities in this area (Silicon Valley); average price I've seen in the local
papers (San Jose Mercury News, MICROTIMES, Computer Currents, etc.) is $595.
That price includes a 1-year warranty; a 2-year warranty is available for
additional $$$.

Another HH drive that "appears" usable in the UNIXPC is the Microscience HH1090,
but I have *NOT* personally tried one of these.

And, confirming another person's report, the HD RF case shield in the UNIXPC
does require some "bending" to conform to the shape of the Miniscribe 3085; all
of the "bending" is at the rear of the shield in the vicinity of the ribbon and
power connectors.  I "simply" bent the shield more-or-less "square" using a
hand-held pair of pliers, and it's all working fine for over 2 months now.  The
shield we're talking about here is the two-part "Swiss-cheese-hole" affair that
ONLY encloses the hard drive.  Because of the proximity of the monitor, it is
NOT recommended to operate an internal HD without the shield.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]