Repair places for a sick 7300???

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Sat Aug 12 10:12:39 AEST 1989

>>My old 7300 (which I sold a few months back) won't boot.  In fact if
>>won't do anything at all...  not even any floppy activity on power-up.
>>All I get is a strange bit pattern that covers the entire screen.  The
>>hard disk spins up and resets, but there's no disk activity.  The green
>>LED is lit (it's got power), but there is no "heart beat" LED.  Does
>>this sound familiar to anyone??

>my unixpc does this if shut off for long periods of time.  What I do
>is turn on the machine (not even the reset button in the back works)
>and let it sit there 30-60 minutes.  Next I (this is not good but it
>works) Click the power on and off (fastly).  And hopefully it catches
>and the screen clears and boots.  If not I leave it on and try again
>in a little while.

This is not an uncommon sight.

What happens in some cases is that the hard disk doesn't spin up, or
doesn't spin up correctly.  It sounds like it's happy, but it's really
not.

This suggestion ("jumpstarting" the 3b1 with a fast power cycle) works
in some cases.  Sometimes it takes several tries.  Unfortunately, I'm
not comfortable whacking the power around like that.

Another solution, which I've used and others have (based on my
suggestion and pleads that they don't do it :-), is while off, whack
the side of the cabinet, or lift the front and drop it about a quarter
to half inch onto the tabletop.

But please, I do not recommend this approach, and if you should
independently develop this idea on your own, you should be aware of
any damage that could easily occur from it.  (Translated: No way am I
taking any blame for any damage you cause from such a stupid
statement... :-)

________Robert J. Granvin________        INTERNET: rjg at sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____          BITNET: rjg%sialis.mn.org at cs.umn.edu
__National Information Services__            UUCP: ...amdahl!bungia!sialis!rjg
 "Insured against Aircraft, including self-propelled missiles and spacecraft."