WD2010 group buy, call for ORDER and $$$

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.UUCP
Fri Aug 18 22:25:38 AEST 1989

In article <358 at heurikon.UUCP> dklann at heurikon.UUCP (David Klann) writes:
>Bill Vermillion publicly thanks Thad ...
>I just want to add my Public thanks too.

It is time I added my thanks to Thad.  (I suspect that Thad will be getting
public and private praise for quite a while.  Thad, was it worth the effort
just for this? :-)

I installed the WD2010 into a standard 7300, and can verify that it makes
the disk drive work better.  After installing Lenny's errnotify(1) command,
I have been seeing at least 3 or 4 disk errors a day.  If I was doing
anything, it would go up.  Compiling gcc could generate about 20 or 30
errors.

Since installing the WD2010, I have had a total of 2, (its been about a week).
One of those was an attempt to cause errors.  I was compiling both
gdb2.5 and gdb3.0 simultaneously.  The disk did not stop making noise for over
and hour.  Before I would have expected many.

It must be the error correction circuitry.  I recommend the change
even if you are not using a big disk.  (Who knows, maybe someday you will. :-))

---
Tom Tkacik		GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090
uunet!edsews!rphroy!megatron!tkacik
"If you can't stand the bugs, stay out of the roach-motel."  Ron Guilmette
--
---