3b1: The lp daemon has left for the coast.

Ned Nowotny ned at pebbles.cad.mcc.com
Tue Aug 29 03:45:11 AEST 1989

In article <2563 at cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM> ned%cad at MCC.COM (Ned Nowotny) writes:

>Since installing a WD2010 and MS3085 and reinstalling the system software
>and my own local files, the lp daemon seems to be on permanent vacation.

[ This is a reply to email received from <levin at magnus.Hotline.Com>.
  Unfortunately, our host tables have never heard of Hotline.Com     ]

[ <levin at magnus.Hotline.Com> suggested that lpsched must be run by
   the user, lp.                                                     ]

Thanks for the suggestion, but no cigar.  I had tried that and just tried it
again.  lpadmin followed by accept followed by enable followed by lpsched,
the last both foreground and background.  All were given appropriate arguments.
All reported no errors.  All returned 0 exit codes.  Lpstat and ps still
report that the scheduler is not running.  In any case, lpsched is suid lp.
Well, it worked before, but it doesn't work now.  Back to the circuit board
as they say.

[  P.S.  For those of you still reading this post, I have tacked an
         "ls -l" following a backgrounded (?) lpsched.  And yes,
	 indeed, both FIFO and SCHEDLOCK are being created in the
	 /usr/spool/lp directory and then almost immediately removed
	 as lpsched terminates.  The only entries in my log file say
	 "* STOPPED *" (where *s are replaced by useful information
	 like the time of the log entry).  Any ideas on how I can
	 debug this thing?                                           ]

Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned at mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned