3b1: The lp daemon has left for the coast.

Ned Nowotny ned at pebbles.cad.mcc.com
Sun Aug 27 02:12:23 AEST 1989

Since installing a WD2010 and MS3085 and reinstalling the system software
and my own local files, the lp daemon seems to be on permanent vacation.

Now, the printer and printer port (parallel) is working fine.  A "cat >
/dev/lp" works just fine.  I have tried to change the printer from the
install menu, but no matter what I do, it still thinks it is configuered
for the HPLaserjet printer and the lp daemon does not show up.  Or, at least,
it doesn't stay around.

Well, UA is pretty bad.  So, yes, I tried using the lp utilities directly.
I even tried to use the "dumb" model file.  I can get reasonable responses
and 0 status values returned from lpadmin, accept, enable, and even lpsched.
(Well, lpsched always seems to return 0.)  However, lpstat and ps both tell
me that the lp schedular is not running.  Before providing gory transcripts,
can anyone offer a suggestion as to what may be going on?

P.S.  I am running the unfixed 3.5 OS and development tools and I have
      installed virtually all of the AT&T supplied code including the
      GSS packages with the intent of selectively removing what I don't
      want later.
Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned at mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned