Nethack 3.0 compile hassle

Dave Ihnat ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Aug 4 04:38:51 AEST 1989

In article <936 at kosman.UUCP> kevin at kosman.UUCP (Root) writes:
>I deleted the rest of the message, but you're using the stock cc, right?
>
>You've also got a configuration switch defined in there somewhere that
>turns on the use of bitfields to make structs more compact.
>
>The problem is that in this configuration, cc generates short branch
>instructions for parts of 'if' commands, when it cannot really tell that
>a short branch will get there.
>
>You have two solutions: turn off bitfields, or turn to gcc.

Er...this has been hashed out in other messages, but as this just arrived,
I want to emphasize the answer:  It's Not Bitfields; it's the optimizer.
Keep your bitfields, and turn on every option your heart desires.  But,
for every module that generates one of these messages, either manually
compile it *without* optimization, or make a dependency in the makefile
which does so.  Thereafter, all works well with the stock development system.
(at least for 3.51; I'd guess for 3.5 as well.)

		Dave Ihnat
		ignatz at homebru.chi.il.us (preferred return address)
		ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us