3b1: The lp daemon has left for the coast.

John Canning john at banzai.UUCP
Wed Aug 30 10:06:10 AEST 1989

In article <2572 at cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM> ned%cad at MCC.COM (Ned Nowotny) writes:

>>Since installing a WD2010 and MS3085 and reinstalling the system software
>>and my own local files, the lp daemon seems to be on permanent vacation.

Unix 3.5 and 3.51 is delivered with an interesting "feature" in the
lp programs.  Both the programs enable and accept have the set user id
bit set on them.  However, one program is owned by lp, and the other
is owned by root.  In order for these programs to work, they BOTH
must be owned by root.

So, make yourself super-user, and use chown to set the ownership to
root on both files.  One of the programs is located in /usr/bin, the
other is located in /usr/lib.

I am doing this away from a 3B1, which is why I am being so unspecific
about which program is at fault...

John Canning					...uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!john
The People's Computer Company			...attmail!banzai!john
Williston, Vermont				john at banzai.pcc.com
802-864-0747