Nethack 3.0 can't save my games

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Thu Aug 31 10:02:17 AEST 1989

I finally got around to compiling and trying Nethack 3.0, and it's nice,
but I have a disastrous problem: I cannot return to a saved level, either
by restoring a game, going up stairs, or (presumably) hitting a bones level.
I've been down as low as level 6, but I dare not go up.

I get a message to tell kevin (that's me) and maybe things can be resurrected.
There's a save file of some sort, but nethack does not recognize it, and it's
in the wrong format (not compressed).  And then the program dumps be back to
the shell, without bothering to restore the tty modes.  How rude!

I'm running on a 3b1, with 3.51 SYSV, compiling with yacc, lex, and gcc.
I don't think I did anything strange, except to change the name of the game
to hack3, and HACKDIR to be hack3dir. (Note to developers: this messes up
the startup script a little).

Anyone with any ideas?